The Simple Steps to Indentifying Your Perfect Lead Magnet
There is ONE BIG THING that you must always make clear when identifying your perfect lead magnet…it is your PROMISE!
What’s the One Big Thing that your lead magnet is going to do, teach or solve for your end user?
There are quite a few areas where you can draw on experience for this.
- Client Interviews – One of the things you should always be asking is what’s the #1 problem that you have with abc? What do you hate about xyz?
- Surveys – Same thing here – the data isn’t quite as reliable, but it’s still a really good source of finding peoples frustrations.
- Competitors – Do you have competitors that are killing it at some aspect of their business? Are there challenges with it?
- Prospect Phone Call – You talk to prospective clients everyday – What sort of questions do they ask? What objections do they put up when you ask them tschedule?
- Your FAQ – This could be an FAQ page on your website or just your own internal understanding of the client’s needs (this must be based on actual data.)
Whenever I put a lead magnet out into the webosphere, I always take users to a second page where I get a little more information. The one question I always ask is – What’s your #1, single biggest marketing challenge right now?
After asking this over 1,000 times, I’ve realized that in my niche there are really three main challenges. I developed a lead magnet for each of these challenges to help my prospective client overcome them.
- People Don’t Know Where to Start. There’s so much information out there and everybody says you have to do this if you want to be successful. They end of just picking something at random and then wonder why their stuff doesn’t work. Lead Magnet: 2015 Marketing Guide – What’s Working Now.
- People Have a Hard Time Finding Good Team Members. It’s hard to market a business if you don’t have anybody to trust that will do the work. Lead Magnet: Expert Interview Series on Hiring.
- No Time. People are trying to do it all in their business and have no extra time or money, so they need to do everything on the cheap. Lead Magnet: Productivity Lead Magnet in the Works.
Here are 6 steps to help you identify your perfect lead magnet;
STEP 1. Identify Problems You Can Solve
Grab a pen and paper and start jotting down the problems that people are having that you can help with. These are the ONE BIG THING PROMISES that you can solve for your clients.
STEP 2. Categorize Your Ideas
Determine what category the lead magnets might fall into.
- Is it a How-To guide?
- Is it a Cheat-sheet or Checklist?
- Is it a Training Video?
STEP 3. Test it against the 5 Keys to a Great Lead Magnet
After you select the category of the lead magnet – the third thing you want to do is run it through our 5 Keys to a great lead magnet.
Think about your idea and ask the 5 key questions:
- Is it specific enough?
- Is it easy for the prospect to consume?
- Does it address a KNOWN desire?
- Does it deliver value?
- Is it aligned with one of your products/services?
If you said YES to all 5 – you’re on the way to having an awesome lead magnet. If you don’t have all 5 go back to the previous questions and see if you can tweak it to make it satisfy all the criteria.
If your Lead magnet isn’t specific enough, you can take your topic and break it down even further.
Maybe it’s not about how to grow an awesome garden but how to grow awesome tulips. Its more specific.
Maybe it’s not how to be a better marketer, but how to attract new clients.
Maybe it’s not how to stop dog bites, but rather how to keep your toddler safe in a dog-friendly home.
STEP 4. Thinning the Herd
From all of the lead magnet ideas that you have, take all the ones that have all 5 keys checked and put them in one pile. Take the rest, and put them in a folder for later use. Sometimes there could be some great nuggets in there – you just need to work on the idea a little more.
STEP 5. Pick Your Winner
Of all the Lead magnet ideas that you have left – the ones with all 5 Keys checked…go ahead and lay them out and choose which one you feel you can deliver the best on.
THAT’S YOUR WINNER!
STEP 6. Come Up with a Compelling Title
There’s a reason why we saved the title until the very end. The title of your lead magnet is very important. If the title doesn’t grab the user’s attention – it doesn’t matter how great the content is, they’ll never see it. 8/10 readers will read the title, only 2/10 read the body copy. So if we can’t grab their attention, they’re not going to consume the content (and remember…that is one of our 5 Keys to a great lead magnet.) We need the users to consume the content so they can reap the benefits of our knowledge.
Now that you have identified what your perfect lead magnet is going to be…all you have to do is CREATE IT!
Now It’s Your Turn
Use the comments section below and tell me what is your best idea for a lead magnet for your business?